Small Ensemble Project

In this project, I decided to cover "Purple Haze" by Jimi Hendrix. My creative idea was to record the song using minimal equipment and try to get a mix sounding exactly like the record. I played drums and bass while a friend, Jacob, played the iconic Purple Haze riffs on his fender Stratocaster.

Tracking Phase

I had a couple amps to choose from but I figured it was easiest to come up with a similar guitar tone through DI and into Studio One's "Ampire". All bass tracks were recorded through a crate amp using an AKG D112 and shure sm57. Drums were recorded with a simple snare, kick, and overhead setup also including a room "crush" mic facing the opposite wall.

To play, press and hold the enter key. To stop, release the enter key.

press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom
press to zoom

Editing/Post Production Phase

In this phase I cleaned up all tracks with audio bending as well as clean cuts/fades. Each section was repeated in the corrected order of the original song.

 

I then leveled my mixed and used my preferred plug-ins to make the song sound like the original record. I used redlight distortion to give me that famous fuzz sound Hendrix often plays with. All of my drum tracks were mixed then sent to a drum bus with a send effect for more of an oldschool room sound. I used a saturation effect from reapers plug-in pack to give more of a tape feel on my recording. I also sent the drums and bass to a "grit" send which included the redlight distortion. My mix bus included a mix compressor, binaural pan, the MaagEq2, and Limiter6.

guitar_edited
guitar_edited

press to zoom
guitar2_edited
guitar2_edited

press to zoom
maageq2_edited
maageq2_edited

press to zoom
guitar_edited
guitar_edited

press to zoom

Conclusion

            In conclusion this was a fun project. I was surprised at how difficult it was to make a recording sound lesser quality. I felt like my recording quality was great but my playing did not sound like the record. If I could go back and make any changes, I would rerecord the drums and fix some parts that are not exact to the recording. Overall, another good project in the books.